Fixed Line Telecoms Providers - UK - February 2011
The UK residential fixed-line telephony market faces a difficult outlook, with an increasing number of customers disengaging with the service. The past few years have seen an increase in customers ‘cutting the cord’, with mobile-only homes now accounting for about one in ten UK households. Landline owners are also using their home phones far less than in the past, leaving providers much more reliant on basic line rental revenues.
- Over eight in ten Virgin digital TV subscribers also has a Virgin landline. This is significantly higher than Sky, where 24% of Sky TV customers also have a Sky landline.
- TalkTalk customers are more likely than landline users overall to view ‘moving to a bundled supplier’ a key factor when looking for a new provider. This may reflect the appeal of TalkTalk’s current dual-play (broadband and landline) offer.
- BT remain the most popular landline provider, with over one in three (37%) internet users signed up to BT’s landline service.
- VoIP has yet to really penetrate as a mainstream communication tool, and hence its negative impact on the fixed-line market should be seen as minimal relative to mobile phones. Only one in ten landline users use the service every day while at home, while the majority (57%) have either never used it or can’t remember the last time they used it.
- Landline customers are more likely to use their mobile phone to make calls, even while in the home. Nearly half (46%) of landline customers make mobile calls at home on a daily basis, compared to 39% for landlines.
- About one in three landline customers agree that they only have a landline because it is required to as part of their broadband package.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.