Food Provenance - UK - April 2011
Food provenance – the origin of what we eat and drink – enjoys a permanent place on the brands’ and media’s food and drink agenda, also maintaining its visibility among consumers.
This report reveals that British and local origin of food are seen as important issues by a minority of around one in three adults. Meanwhile, more than half the population are prioritising value for money over food origin, reflecting the current pressure on consumer incomes.
- Highlighting the people behind the product could help British food engage the three in four consumers who believe that buying British food supports British businesses.
- Detailed origin information continues to provide opportunities in the premium niche, as three in ten households earning £50,000 or more see such products as worth paying more for.
- Overseas brands could tap into a sizeable pool of demand in the UK massmarket ethnic foods sector, among the 37% of adults who prefer ingredients and sauces from the homeland of the cuisine when cooking ethnic dishes.
- British food could benefit from highlighting its farming quality standards to the over-55s population, to continue to engage them as purity of food has overtaken British origin as their most important food-related issue.
- The onus is on the brands and manufacturers to highlight their British credentials to benefit from them, as half of adults report to buy goods produced in their own country, but only one in three pay attention to where the products they buy are made or grown.
- Telling the story of their provenance could help brands appeal to the 45-54-year-olds, who are the most likely age group to see detailed origin information as signalling distinctive taste and as worth paying more for.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.