Food Retailing - France - November 2010
- The French economy emerged from recession in 2009 and is well on its way to recovery. The government forecasts growth of around 1.5% in 2010 and between 1% and 2% in 2011.
- Spending on food has remained robust throughout the economic crisis. Spend in 2008 was boosted by inflation, while 2009 remained steady as consumers cut back on spending in discretionary areas.
- France has an ageing population. Reduced consumer mobility will likely increase demand for convenience shopping, already a key battleground in the French food retail sector.
- Good value is the most important factor for consumers in deciding where to shop for food. The leading retailers have put value at the core of their strategies.
- Carrefour is the largest food retailer in France although its lead has been eroded by the very strong performance of Leclerc.
- Online retailing of food is growing but it remains in its infancy and has yet to make a significant impact. Leading retailers are instead investing in the click and collect drive-thru model that has proved popular.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.