Gastro-intestinal Remedies - Europe - November 2011
The gastro-intestinal (GI) remedies market in the big five European countries combined, ie GB, France, Spain, Italy and Germany, was valued at €1.9 billion in 2010.
Since 2008, the digestive remedies market in the big five countries combined has remained flat. Stagnating sales is as a result of the economic recession, with consumers either turning to cheaper own-label OTC products or using home-made herbal remedies, to cut costs. Cutting back on eating out and alcoholic drinks due to the economic crisis has also impacted demand for digestive remedies.
Usage of OTC indigestion/heartburn and stomach remedies is the highest in GB, with adults in GB most likely to take remedies for indigestion and diarrhoea, the most common gastro-intestinal complaints suffered.
Some key points covered in the report include:
- Of the European big five, the digestive remedies market is worth the most in Germany, accounting for some €574 million in 2010, driven by Germany having the largest population size (83 million people in 2010).
- The UK leads in terms of NPD activity among the big five European countries.
- Indigestion is the most common GI complaint suffered by adults in Europe.
- Adults in Germany are the most confident that they only need to see a doctor if they are really ill. A high proportion of consumers in Germany are therefore likely to buy OTC GI remedies when symptoms strike, rather than going to the doctor.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.