Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Coffee and RTD Coffee - Germany market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
Younger, more experimental coffee drinkers are least likely to have a preferred brand and are keenest to try new varieties and international styles of coffee. Compelling storytelling that makes added value tangible is needed from brands to encourage product trial and strengthen their loyalty.
At 12% of coffee drinkers, consumption of decaffeinated coffee is very low. Given media attention on the importance of sleep, decaffeinated versions can be positioned as a good alternative for those who struggle to sleep. Taste is an issue for consumers, however, which needs addressing.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Annika Janicke, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Compelling storytelling, coffee in styles from around the world and a focus on functional benefits are needed to increase the appeal of coffee to younger consumers. Annika Janicke
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Market context
- Mintel predicts
- What consumers want, and why
- [Graph] Germany: interest in new coffees, July 2019
- The competitive landscape
- [Graph] Germany: company retail value market share of coffee (excluding RTD coffee) (%), 2018
- [Graph] Germany: company retail value market share of RTD coffee (%), 2018
- [Graph] Germany: Number of coffee shops/coffee bars (m), 2013-22
- [Graph] Germany: Coffee shop/coffee bar value sales (€bn), 2013-22
- [Graph] Germany: Population, by age group, 2014, 2019 and 2024
WHAT CONSUMERS WANT, AND WHY
- Types of coffee drunk at home
- [Graph] Germany: Drinking of any coffee at home in the last month, by age, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: Types of coffee drunk in the last month, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: Number of different types of coffee drunk at home in the last month, by age, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: Drinking of standard and decaffeinated coffee at home in the last month, by age, July 2019
- Most important factors when choosing coffee
- [Graph] Germany: most important factors when choosing coffee, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: importance of roast level and bean variety when buying coffee, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: importance of on-pack information in driving coffee purchase, by age, July 2019
- Interest in innovation in coffee
- [Graph] Germany: Interest in innovation in coffee, July 2019
- Consumer behaviours related to coffee
- [Graph] Germany: Agreement with selected behavioural statements related to coffee, July 2019
- [Graph] Germany: interest in trying new coffees, by age, August 2019
- [Graph] Germany: interest in a paid coffee subscription service that sends different coffees regularly, by age, July 2019
Launch activity and Innovation
- [Graph] Germany: new launch activity in coffee (including RTD coffee), by branded vs. private label, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: New launch activity in coffee, by segment, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: New launch activity in coffee (excluding RTD coffee), by format, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: new launch activity in coffee, by leading claim categories, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: new launch activity in coffee, by selected ethical claims, 2015-19
- Retail market share of coffee (excluding RTDs), by volume and value, 2016-18
- Germany: market share in the retail RTD coffee market, by volume and value
Market Segmentation, Size and Forecast
- Products covered, abbreviations and consumer research methodology
- Appendix - Launch Activity and Innovation
- Appendix – market size and forecast
About the report
This interactive report will give you a complete 360-degree view of your market. Not only is it rooted in robust proprietary and high-quality third-party data carried out across Germany, but our industry experts put that data into context and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
Who’s Winning. How To Stay Ahead.
Size, Segments, Shares And Forecasts: How It All Adds Up.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.