Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Colour Cosmetics - Germany market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
Mintel research conducted between 21-28 April showed that 82% of German women anticipate spending about the same as they usually would on beauty and toiletries over the next month. After a month at home, sentiments towards spending on some consumer categories like beauty are beginning to normalise. The German government announced on April 15th consideration of a plan to gradually phase society back into public life over the coming months, albeit with restrictions. For the foreseeable future it seems beauty retailers will have to continue to focus their efforts online, guiding consumers through this habit change.
All reports purchased from the Mintel Store now come with free access to our COVID-19 Global Insights Hub, allowing you to understand how industries and consumer behaviour is changing worldwide.
What does the COVID-19 Global Insights Hub give you access to?
- Over 450 pieces of research (with more published each week) addressing markets across the globe.
- Discover how people in countries at different stages of the crisis are adjusting to the 'new normal'.
- Trending industries which have seen growth due to the changes in circumstance.
- Our latest consumer research surveys, allowing you to see customers views right now.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Gwen Osserman, a leading analyst in the Beauty & Personal Care sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
German consumers want it all for less – less time, effort and money. As women intend to maintain usual spend amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, brands must adapt online. Gwen Osserman
Beauty & Personal Care Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Market context
- Mintel predicts
- What consumers want, and why
- [Graph] Germany - top five qualities when purchasing lip, eye and/or base makeup, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: budget brand purchases by makeup category, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: top five priorities when purchasing makeup tools and accessories (Any rank), September 2019
- The competitive landscape
THE IMPACT OF COVID-19
- [Graph] Germany: real GDP growth, 2008-19
- [Graph] Germany: anticipated change in spending on beauty products and toiletries over the next month, 21-29 April 2020
What consumers want, and why
- Purchase of face colour makeup
- [Graph] Germany: types of face makeup purchased in last 12 months, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: types of face makeup purchased in last 12 months, 2017-19
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of select base makeup in last 12 months, 16-24 vs 55+, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of face colour makeup in last 12 months, 2017-19
- [Graph] Germany: repertoire of face makeup purchased in last 12 months, 16-24s vs 65+, September 2019
- Purchase of eye, lip and nail makeup
- [Graph] Germany: any purchase of eye, lip and nail products in the last 12 months (NET), September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of eye products in last 12 months, 2018-19
- [Graph] Select European markets: purchase of mascara in last 12 months, 2019
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of lip colour in the last 12 months, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of nail colour in last 12 months, 2018-19
- Preferred makeup brands
- [Graph] Germany: Perferred colour cosmetics brands, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: preferred eye makeup brands by age, September 2019
- Desired product qualities in colour cosmetics
- [Graph] Germany: desired product qualities in colour cosmetics, September 2019
- Priorities when purchasing tools and accessories
- [Graph] Germany: purchase of makeup applicators, September 2019
- [Graph] Germany: top three priorities when shopping for makeup tools and accessories, September 2019
Launch activity and innovation
- [Graph] Germany: NPD in the colour cosmetics category, by launch type, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: NPD in the colour cosmetics category, by top ultimate company in 2019, 2018-19
- Face makeup
- [Graph] Germany: NPD in the colour cosmetics category, by sub-category, 2015-19
- [Graph] Germany: top claims in the colour cosmetics category in 2019, 2017-19
- Lip and eye makeup
- [Graph] Germany: top five claims for eye product launches, 2019
- [Graph] Germany: top five NPD claims for lip product launches, 2019
- Nail colour
- [Graph] Germany: leading NPD claims for nail colour, 2019
- Advertising and marketing activity
- Retail market share of colour cosmetics, 2018-19
market segmentation, size and forecast
- Forecasting during COVID-19 crisis
- Market size and forecast - retail value sales
- Retail value market shares of colour cosmetics by segment, 2018-19
- Note on COVID-19
- Appendix - products covered, abbreviations and consumer research methodology
- Appendix - abbreviations
- Appendix - research methodology
- Appendix - TURF analysis
- Appendix - market size and forecast - retail value sales
About the report
This interactive report will give you a complete 360-degree view of your market. Not only is it rooted in robust proprietary and high-quality third-party data carried out across Germany, but our industry experts put that data into context and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
Who’s Winning. How To Stay Ahead.
Size, Segments, Shares And Forecasts: How It All Adds Up.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.