Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the The Ethical Consumer - Germany market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Covered in this report
As of the end of April, the coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) continues to spread across Germany, albeit at a slower rate than in the past weeks. Although people have already proven hugely adaptable, the implications of this pandemic will be long-lasting. And consumers are far from complacent; Mintel research conducted between 21-29 April shows that 93% of German consumers are concerned about the impact on their lifestyles. This anxiety and the very real societal changes that Germany faces means that for many people their environmental concerns will be less of a priority, certainly in the short-term, as they focus on their health and financial situation.
All reports purchased from the Mintel Store now come with free access to our COVID-19 Global Insights Hub, allowing you to understand how industries and consumer behaviour is changing worldwide.
What does the COVID-19 Global Insights Hub give you access to?
- Over 450 pieces of research (with more published each week) addressing markets across the globe.
- Discover how people in countries at different stages of the crisis are adjusting to the 'new normal'.
- Trending industries which have seen growth due to the changes in circumstance.
- Our latest consumer research surveys, allowing you to see customers views right now.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Mainga Hachibiti, a leading analyst in the Lifestyles sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Plastic pollution and climate change lead consumers’ concerns. But COVID-19 will change ethical consumers' priorities in the medium term. Mainga Hachibiti
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Market context
- Mintel predicts
- What consumers want, and why
- [Graph] Germany: consumers' top 3 ethical concerns, October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: animal welfare as top concern, by age and gender, October 2019
THE IMPACT OF COVID-19
- [Graph] Germany: How consumers' priorities have changed since the outbreak began, 21-29 April 2020
- [Graph] Germany: "How worried are you about the risk of being exposed to the coronavirus (also known as COVID-19)", 3 March-29 April 2020
- [Graph] Germany: extent to which people are worried that the outbreak might affect their lifestyle, 3 March-29 April 2020
- Societal issues
What consumers want, and why
- Environmental concerns
- [Graph] Germany: top environmental concerns, October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: consumer concern about climate change, by generation, October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: BPC launches with 'ethical - animal' claims, 2017-19
- [Graph] Germany: consumer concern about local air quality, by generation, October 2019
- Ethical considerations
- [Graph] Germany: "I'd be prepared to pay a little more for products and services produced by companies that...", October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: willingness to pay more for products and services from companies that use Fairtrade practices, by age, October 2019
- Ethical and environmental attitudes
- [Graph] Germany: attitudes towards brands' & government's ethical behaviours, October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: "It's more appealing to act in a more environmentally friendly way when you can see the results of your actions", by age, October 2019
- [Graph] Germany: "Ethical products and services are often too expensive", by age, October 2019
Launch activity and innovation
- Food & drink products
- [Graph] Germany: food launches by top three claim categories, 2015-2019
- [Graph] Germany: food launches by top five claims, 2015 vs 2019
- Beauty & personal care products
- [Graph] Germany: BPC launches with select ethical and natural claims, 2015 vs 2019
- Household care products
- [Graph] Germany: household launches with select ethical and natural claims, 2015 vs 2019
- Appendix - consumer research methodology and abbreviations
About the report
This interactive report will give you a complete 360-degree view of your market. Not only is it rooted in robust proprietary and high-quality third-party data carried out across Germany, but our industry experts put that data into context and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
Who’s Winning. How To Stay Ahead.
Size, Segments, Shares And Forecasts: How It All Adds Up.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.