Gift Shopping Habits - UK - December 2009
- Consumers are turning away from traditional gifts in favour of gift vouchers/cards and money. Six out of ten adults gave money in 2009 (4 million more than in 2005), while 37% bought gift cards/vouchers (an increase of 2 million).
- Retailers need their gift ranges to stand out and better match individual interests and tastes. Four in ten adults (20 million) like to buy unusual/ unique gifts and a similar proportion (equivalent to19 million) like gifts to reflect the recipient’s hobbies and interests.
- Different marketing approaches are needed to target the three in ten adults (15 million) who enjoy shopping for gifts and the quarter (12 million) who find looking for gifts a real chore.
- Inspiring and innovative gifts are needed in stores throughout the year to maximise sales to the 12 million who buy gifts for others on impulse, and the 9 million who like to self-treat.
- Stores and websites need to work in tandem to convert gift browsers into purchasers. Buying gifts over the internet has grown from only 17% of adults in 2005 to approaching 40% in 2009. More than four in ten adults (21 million) use the internet to browse for gift ideas.
- Unwanted gifts are most likely to be kept (16 million adults) or given to charity (15 million), although one in five will give them to other people as gifts.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.