Gluten-free Foods - US - January 2012
The retail gluten-free food market has grown to an estimated $6.1 billion in 2011. While this figure includes all food labeled gluten free (including products that are inherently gluten free such as scallops or tomato sauce), sales of gluten-free food products that are alternatives to gluten-containing, grain-based products (e.g. salty snacks, cookies, and bread) have grown dramatically, and importantly are the focus of this report. Ultimately, the market’s growth is even more impressive considering that much of it came about during a poor economy.
This relatively new and vibrant market offers significant opportunities for food companies. In this report, the first of its kind offered by Mintel, key topics include:
- Factors driving the sales of gluten-free food, including the improved taste of products, consumer perception that gluten-free food is better for you (BFY) than traditional food, trendiness, and interest in natural and organic food and beverages
- Which segments have performed best during 2009-11, and who the key players are that are driving this growth
- Market opportunities, such as consumers’ desire for more types of gluten-free products, as well as threats including the market’s potential fad factor and possible health concerns
- Consumer attitudes toward gluten-free food, including a focus on key demographics such as gender, age, household income, and race/Hispanic origin
- How gluten avoiders search for information/support (e.g. doctors, friends, internet, books), and how marketers can capitalize on this
- Suggested brand platforms that are likely to appeal to demographics who buy gluten-free food
- How price does and does not affect the sale of gluten-free products, and opportunities for private label manufacturers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.