Grocery Retailing - Ireland - October 2012
The grocery market within Ireland is increasingly being dominated by UK food multiples and European food discounters. In addition to this, changes to the planning guidelines regarding the cap on the size of supermarkets within RoI have increased, putting even more pressure on convenience and independent stores due to larger store formats now being a viable option for supermarket retailers, which can thus offering a wider variety of products.
The economic downturn has precipitated a trend for consumers to trade down and has strongly influenced the growth in own-brand ranges. Consumers now view own-brand lines as stand-alone brands, resulting in branded goods having to work harder to gain shelf space.
Thus the grocery retailing market is a dynamic and constantly changing one. Retailers that can respond to the changes will succeed. Grocery retailing will increasingly become more technology focused as consumers demand more information about products along with wanting the shopping process made simpler and less time consuming.
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How has the recession impacted on grocery retailing within Ireland? – How have consumers’ shopping habits changed since the economic downturn and how have grocery retailers reacted to changes in shopping behaviour?
- How are the latest consumer trends impacting on Ireland’s grocery retailing market? – How have current trends such as technology, wellness and convenience influenced the Irish grocery market?
- How has the grocery landscape evolved within Ireland? – What impact has the convergence of the Irish and UK retail market along with the increasing role of food discounters and own-brand products had on grocery retailing within Ireland?
- Where are the future opportunities for grocery retailing? – What different types of store format, technologies and channels to market are important for food retailers going forward?
- How are grocery retailers differentiating themselves from competitors? – What strategies have the multiples, convenience stores and discounters implemented to set themselves apart from each other?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.