Gum, Mints and Breath Fresheners - US - February 2010
Gum, mints and breath fresheners continue to be some of the more innovative consumer packaged goods categories, which has helped them maintain and grow sales despite the recession. Innovations have been focused on packaging, bolder and more exciting flavors, as well as functional benefits that have long been a trademark of the gum category in particular. Early benefits focused on fresh breath and general oral care. More recently, claims have evolved to the point where gum is being promoted as helping to alleviate stress, help reduce weight, improve brain and digestive functions and more. There are even gums that are in the early stages of development that a hold potential to detect diseases such as malaria.
This report provides an in-depth look at these segments by providing the following insights:
- The functionality of gum continues to be strongly marketed by manufacturers and will be even more so in the future as more functions for gum are developed.
- Kraft’s recent acquisition of Cadbury has the potential to significantly impact gum and related categories.
- Despite the billions of dollars at stake, why private label is a relative non-factor in the gum category.
- How impulse purchases like gum, mints and breath fresheners fare during recessionary times.
- The potential impact of retailers rethinking merchandising at checkout lines, which used to be the sole domain of gum and candy but now competes with beverages and salty snacks as well.
- The social context of gum, mints and breath fresheners.
- What consumers are looking for in terms of flavors, packaging, functionality and sweeteners
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.