Health and Fitness Clubs - UK - July 2016
"Flexibility and technology are two important emerging forces in the private health and fitness club market, the former filtering up from a rapidly-expanding low-cost sector that is bringing new users into the market and the latter filtering down from a premium segment focused on improving experiences and the sophistication of training programmes."
– David Walmsley, Senior Leisure Analyst
This report covers the following areas:
- Will new technologies offer equal opportunities for all?
- Will the Government's new sport and activity policy change the game?
Increasing provision within the low-cost segment is expected to remain the primary source of further development into the medium term, a period in which consumers are expected to respond particularly favourably to the more flexible payment and pricing options becoming available.
The flexible payment trend poses a trading-down threat to the mid-market and premium segments, where the perennial problem of churn remains an ongoing issue too. In response, operators here are likely to invest strongly in new technologies that offer more stimulating exercise experiences and increasingly personalised training programmes.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Health and fitness clubs examined in this Report are defined as being privately owned, ie operated by a company or individual on a commercial, for-profit basis.
- Where reference to the public sector is made for the purpose of comparison, public health and fitness clubs are defined as those operated by, or on behalf of, a local authority, such as a gymnasium and other facilities found in public leisure centres or swimming pool complexes.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.