Healthy Snacking - US - July 2012
At a time when America’s obesity problem is receiving extensive coverage from the media, consumers are becoming more aware of the long-term potential health implications of their eating habits. Unlike some other eating occasions, snacking is most associated with fun and perhaps even indulgence, which can make it challenging for the snack industry to try and re-position some of its products as being consistent with the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. However, Americans’ quest to manage their health more effectively by closely monitoring their eating habits may create an opportunity for the snack industry to re-invent itself a bit to remain relevant to health-conscious consumers.
With this in mind, Mintel has taken an in-depth look into the mindset of consumers to provide insights on a wide range of topics that can help the snack industry determine the best strategies for maximizing sales opportunities when targeting healthy snackers. Specifically, this report shares insights on the following topics:
- What market factors have the potential to impact the snack industry the most and what can manufacturers and retailers do to turn challenges into opportunities?
- What are snackers’ views of the various snacking options? In particular, which snacks are considered healthy and which are not viewed favorably?
- What effect will the various food labeling systems have on the snack industry as manufacturers and retailers look to be more transparent with nutritional information?
- Given the highly competitive snacking market, what have manufacturers and retailers been doing in terms of innovation to generate buzz around their products?
- What types of marketing strategies are most likely to resonate with the snacking consumer? Given the wide range of snackers’ ages, how much of a factor is social media and other vehicles that skew toward a younger audience?
- What are the most important considerations for snackers when making a purchase decision? How much of a role do demographic factors (e.g., age, household income, gender, race) play in consumers buying habits?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.