Hispanics and the Perimeter of the Grocery Store - US - February 2011
At 49.7 million as of 2010, the U.S. Hispanic population is the largest minority group in the U.S. and is projected to increase 33% to 66.3 million by 2020. With purchasing power expected to reach $1.4 trillion by 2013, now is a crucial time for grocery retailers and manufacturers to understand the needs and desires of this influential ethnic group.
Although accounting for only 16% of the U.S. population, Hispanics spend more on groceries weekly than any other ethnic group per consumer unit. While the current economy has limited the financial ability of Hispanics to dine out often, it is good news for the grocery sector, as it encourages Hispanics to cook more at home. This is especially true of less acculturated, Spanish-dominant Hispanics, more than 25% of whom have increased their expenditures on produce, dairy, meat and fish in the past year. This change calls for marketing strategies that speak to this group linguistically, culturally and emotionally.
In this report, marketers will gain insights into the Hispanic grocery consumer, including:
- Hispanics’ frequency of consumption and change in expenditures on fresh produce, meat, fish and dairy products, and how grocery manufacturers and retailers can offer products that meet the current and future needs of Hispanics
- New opportunities for product categories that have not extensively penetrated the Hispanic market, including organics, soy, shelf-stable dairy and frozen and canned produce
- An analysis of Hispanics’ spending behaviors and attitudes when shopping for groceries, based on gender, age, level of acculturation and household income
- An analysis of current food and drink campaigns targeting Hispanics, and where advertising is still lacking in marketing to this ethnic group
- An overview of the U.S. Hispanic population, including demographic distribution and differing levels of acculturation, and how this affects the groceries they select
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.