Holiday Lifestyles - China - February 2014
“Chinese travellers are now more complicated than they were in previous years; holiday operators/destinations therefore need to identify and map out the diverse needs and wants of Chinese travellers from different demographics and typologies in order to be able to offer them customised holiday products and services.”
– Lui Meng Chow, Research Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What are the typologies of Chinese travellers and how can holiday companies better target them?
- Given that not everyone can afford to, or wants to travel on overseas luxury/prestige holidays, what range of products should be offered by holiday operators?
- What can domestic holiday operators do to meet the diverse needs of these increasingly sophisticated travellers?
- There is also a growing trend towards young Chinese travellers who, like their Western backpacker counterparts, want to put together their own itinerary and are looking to travel on a low budget. What can holiday companies provide for these travellers?
- What factors do Chinese travellers consider when it comes to deciding on their holiday destinations? What can holiday operators do to improve so that their products or services are more appealing to Chinese travellers?
The remarkable change in Chinese consumers’ holiday lifestyles and tourism growth is largely due to the relaxation of the government’s previous restrictions on outbound travel, the introduction of government policies to increase Chinese leisure time and the rise of a Chinese middle class with higher disposable income.
Despite the slowdown in overall GDP (Gross Domestic Product) growth in the past two years, Chinese middle class spending does not seem to have been impacted greatly, indeed Chinese consumers are showing a stronger desire than ever before to explore foreign lands and enjoy new experiences. Chinese travellers spent US$102 billion on international tourism in 2012, according to United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO). UNWTO also shows that Chinese tourists spent 30% more when travelling abroad in 2012 than they did in the previous year.
The impact of rising incomes, and changing Chinese spending habits on leisure and holidays have seen the holiday/leisure industry move its focus from providing low-quality group tours to offering customised holiday products and services. Chinese travellers now have more complex wants and needs from their travel, thus holiday operators/destinations will need to take these diverse needs and expectations into account in order to target and tailor their products and services accordingly.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.