Holidays - Attitudes and the Impact of Recession - UK - January 2010
- In 2009, the number of overseas holidays taken fell by an estimated 14.5% year-on-year to 38.9 million, returning to 2001 levels.
- 24.5 million adults now see holidays as a ‘luxury’, up from 19 million in 2007. 9-10 million see holidays as a ‘necessary spend’ or a ‘right’.
- By demographics, older ABC1 consumers take the most holidays (both in the UK and overseas) – their travel behaviour has been least affected by the recession, especially the pre-retirement 55-64 group.
- Holiday intentions for 2010 reveals potential growth for most holiday types, with 12 million adults intending to take a family holiday (up from nine million who went in 2009), 10 million a beach holiday (up from seven million), six million a city break (up from four million) and five million an all-inclusive holiday (up from three million).
- Of the near-32 million who went on holiday in 2009, over 8 million say that they would travel less if it became more expensive.
- Spain is still the UK’s favourite destination; however it was hit hard in 2009, undergoing a 15% drop in British visitors. France fared better, with only a 5% reduction occurring as more UK families opted for budget self-catering breaks closer to home.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.