Home Baking (Cooking and Baking from Scratch) - UK - August 2010
Despite the trend towards healthy eating, consumers have taken a greater interest in home baking, driving value sales in the home baking market up by 12.7% between 2007 and 2009. The market is expected to grow by a further 9.1% in 2010, taking sales to £576 million.Consumers have been bitten the baking bug; over two thirds of consumers (69%) have bought raw baking ingredients in the last year.
What we have found out:
- The home baking market has experienced strong sales growth in the last five years, reaching £523 million in 2009. Value sales growth has been driven by the increased incidence of baking from scratch. However, rising commodity prices have added to raw ingredients costs like flour, culinary nuts and dried fruit.
- Just under four million, mostly affluent consumers bake from scratch at least once a month, opting for premium, high quality and organic baking ingredients.
- Manufacturers need to ensure that their product packaging for baking ingredients appeals to children as two fifths of parents let their children decide what is baked at home
- Branded baking ingredients manufacturers need to provide consumers with a more compelling reason to buying them; 17m consumers feel there is no difference between own-label and branded baking ingredients/mixes.
- With tightening budgets and relatively less disposable income, 20m consumers are baking at home as it enables them to cut down on their personal shopping bills
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.