Home Furniture - US - October 2011
The effects of the recession and the negative impact on the U.S. housing market caused home furniture sales to decline significantly in 2008 and 2009 (the primary recession years) with many consumers postponing furniture purchases. A rebound was seen in this sector with growth in 2010 and 2011 due to consumers returning to spending in this sector, which is expected to see expansion over the next five years.
There are many factors impacting this sector, most notably the housing market which has not fully recovered. However, there is long term potential for the home furniture industry as consumers continue to invest in their homes.
Some of the key issues covered in this report include:
- How the devastated housing market is impacting furniture sales
- How consumers’ lifestage changes affect demand for furniture
- Consumer confidence and its link to purchases of home furniture
- The desire for American-made products in many industries including home furniture
- Consumer expenditure on furniture
- An overview of the highly-fragmented retail landscape and how retailers have responded to cross-channel competition
- How retailers and manufacturers are utilizing social media to promote products and influence shoppers
- Typical channels shopped for home furniture, and preferences across demographics
- Reasons for buying furniture and attitudes toward furniture shopping, including online and in-store
- The impact of the recession on home furniture buying
- Reasons for postponing furniture purchases
- How race and Hispanic origin impact shopping behaviors, attitudes toward furniture shopping
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.