Home Hair Color - US - January 2017
"Home hair color sales have remained flat, as preferences for natural looks, concerns over damage, and ombre styles, which have made roots less taboo, have all placed downward pressure on the market. Despite challenges, opportunities exist to reinvigorate sales, exemplified by positive men’s hair color sales, suggesting that expanded availability of men’s hair color offerings may increase market penetration. Brands can also capitalize on the popularity of temporary formats by expanding offerings, such as products with stencils to create hair designs. Finally, products that address damage concerns, such as providing intensive moisture or protecting hair from the environment, hold appeal."
- Margie Nanninga
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Home hair color sales remain flat
- Consumers embrace natural looks, causing some to skip dyeing altogether
- Emphasis on color/shade highlights functional nature of category
This Report covers the US market for home hair color and is defined as follows:
- Permanent hair color – provides long-lasting, all-over color that typically lasts up to eight weeks
- Semi- or demi-permanent hair color – lasts between six and 24 washes
- Temporary hair color – available in a wide range of forms including sprays, foams, gels, powder, and chalk; can be washed out in one or two shampoos
- Highlighting products – treats specific sections of the hair to create lighter or darker sections; includes “ombre” hair color kits that produce graduated color that gets lighter toward the ends
- Bleach – removes the color from hair; used to create blonde and platinum colors
- Root touch-ups – hair color that blends in root regrowth or covers grays between all-over coloring
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.