Home Hair Color - US - November 2013
“Functional benefits such as covering grays and long-lasting results are essential, but have also become expected in the hair coloring category. Shoppers are seeking more customized solutions for their hair coloring needs—through products developed specifically for their age, ethnicity, lifestage, or hair type.”
– Shannon Romanowski, Beauty and Personal Care Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- What opportunities are there to improve sales in the sluggish home hair color market?
- What benefits do consumers perceive from using natural and organic hair coloring products?
- How can the home hair color category be easier to shop?
The home hair color category has experienced slow growth between 2008 and 2013. Home hair color faces an increasingly competitive landscape within the category as well as competition from external sources such as salon services. Current population and economic trends could also negatively impact the category, since usage of home hair color typically declines among older and more affluent consumer groups.
However, there are growth opportunities within the home hair color market. Older respondents express high levels of interest in customized and gentle hair coloring solutions, and brands that can best align with the needs of older users could see success. In addition, tapping into younger consumers’ interest in products containing natural and organic ingredients as well as their interest in following beauty trends with hair color could boost category growth. Lastly, multicultural consumers over index usage of most hair color items, and represent a lucrative opportunity for the category.
For the purposes of this report, the home hair color market has been defined as follows:
- Permanent hair color—provides long-lasting, all-over color that typically lasts up to eight weeks
- Demi-permanent hair color—deepens or intensifies color without lightening, typically lasts between 12-26 washes
- Semi-permanent hair color—similar to demi-permanent color, though only lasts between six and 12 washes
- Temporary hair color—available in a wide range of forms including sprays, foams, gels, and chalk; can be washed out in one or two shampoos
- Highlighting products—treats specific sections of the hair to create lighter or darker sections; includes “ombre” hair color kits that produce graduated color that gets lighter toward the ends
- Bleach—removes the color from hair; used to create blonde and platinum colors
- Root touch-ups—hair color that blends in root re-growth or covers grays between all-over coloring.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.