Home Internet and Phone - US - September 2010
Home phone and internet services are facing tremendous change. Commoditization and competition, including new competition from cellular carriers, has led to lower prices and consolidation. Convergence has made it possible for cable operators to offer calling services, even as phone companies offer television services. And changing trends in how consumers communicate and consume content are driving further change, leading some consumers to rely even more heavily on broadband connections for entertainment even as others look to cut the cord entirely and access calling and the internet from phones.
This report will analyze the market for home internet and phone services in detail, including:
- Historic and projected sales for home internet and phone services will be provided for 2004 through 2014, including sales trends for each segment.
- Maintaining wired infrastructure is costly, leading to a market dominated by large players including AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, and Comcast, amongst others, and driving consolidation. For example, CenturyLink purchased Qwest and Embarq during the past two years, making it the fourth-largest phone company. Strategies and future prospects for the major players will be discussed.
- Factors impacting the home internet and phone sectors will be discussed, including high penetration levels that limit growth potential; consumers’ increasing reliance on the web for entertainment, staying connected and more; the impact of regulatory concerns, which have always played an outsize role in shaping this market; and more. Competing products will also be discussed, including the threat posed by wireless services.
- Based on a review of extensive survey data, Mintel will discuss consumer behavior, attitudes and preferences regarding use of home internet and phone services in detail, including spending, subscribership by brand, feature usage and other factors.
- Even within the home landline sector, there is strong potential for provider differentiation through the addition of new value added features. Consumer interest in these new features is explored, including how distinct demographic groups’ attitudes differ.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.