Hotel Alternatives - US - July 2019
Covered in this report
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Hotel alternative: Paid lodging other than hotels, motels or casino hotels. This report focuses on the following hotel alternatives:
- Homeshares: Private residences that are rented by the owner in whole or in part to overnight guests.
- Vacation rentals: Similar to homeshares, but generally rented as entire residences (opposed to smaller units) for longer terms.
- Apartment rentals: Residential units within multi-unit buildings that are rented on per-night or per-week basis, as opposed to monthly leases.
- Campgrounds: Outdoor areas that provide spaces for guests to camp in tents or RVs. Also includes areas that provide on-site lodging such as cabins.
- Hostel: A building that accommodates many overnight guests in a setting with more basic amenities than a hotel. For instance, many hostels have dormitory- or barracksstyle sleeping areas with minimal privacy, as well as more residential-style common areas.
- Bed and breakfast: Lodging that tends to be small and privately-owned and is typically rented for one- or twonight stays. Differs from a homeshare in that while many are converted residences, they are fully considered to be businesses.
"The number of non-hotel lodging choices available to travelers has exploded in the last decade, becoming a categorical juggernaut in the travel industry. Younger, more experience-minded travelers jumped on early, and in fact remain hotel alternatives’ strongest supporters. Now, while hotel alternatives are still attractive to current young travelers and grown-up early adopters, they have to start filling the gaps in satisfaction to prevent their fans from “aging out” of alternatives and into hotels."
- Mike Gallinari, Travel & Leisure Analyst
This Report looks at the following areas:
- Takeaway 1: Hotel alternatives have a bright future
- Takeaway 2: Safety and loyalty programs are issues for hotel alternatives
- Takeaway 3: Branding is important
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.