Household Cleaning Products - UK - October 2010
This report assesses the market for products used for cleaning and polishing in a domestic context.
- Almost six in ten consumers always clean/tidy their home before guests arrive; nearly eight in ten value having a clean house; and a further six in ten actually gain satisfaction from doing housework. The latter attitude is particularly prevalent among women (rising to 70%), and among the 25-34s (66%).
- Under-24s may be the least dedicated cleaners, but they are the most receptive to trying new products and to using cheaper own-label variants.
- Three in ten consumers admit that the last thing they want to do when they get home from work is clean the house, with 47% saying they clean up as they go along, and one in five relegating it to the weekend. For a growing number of consumers, in other words, the ‘deep clean’ is no longer a feasible option, with work commitments and family responsibilities encroaching on their ability to keep on top of chores.
- The value that consumers place on a clean home, the choice of products they use, and the degree to which they clean remains very much divided along gender and age lines. Over three in ten men, and 37% of the under-24s, for example, admit that someone else is responsible for doing the housework (compared to only one in ten women). Half of women claim that they are the only ones who do the housework, compared to a quarter of men.
- Time spent on household chores is linked more closely to lifestyle than to ownership of a pet, but nevertheless, pet owners may prefer products with a pet-friendly positioning and there is potential to cross-promote cleaning and pet food brands to target pet owners.
- There is more emphasis these days on ingredients in product formulations and their environmental impact. Yet, in research for this report, the ‘free from’ benefit appeals to just 4% of consumers in their choice of cleaner.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.