Hunting and Fishing Equipment - US - February 2010
The $7 billion hunting and fishing equipment market experienced 22% growth from 2005-09. While growth has accelerated in the face of the economic recession in large part due to increased sales of firearms and ammunition rose prior to and just after the 2008 presidential election, the “new normal”, in which Americans are more concerned about discretionary purchases related to travel, suggests that there is an opportunity going forward in the sales of hunting and fishing equipment the size of which has not been seen since the 1970s. This report aims to help both manufacturers and retailers to capitalize on this potentially burgeoning arena. The report uses primary and secondary data to analyze:
- Why hunting and firearms equipment sales are growing even as the economy in recession has left less discretionary income for most households
- How imports of hunting and fishing equipment have affected segments in very different ways
- What fish and game are the most common quarry
- What share of firearms purchased are for hunting relative to home/self-protection
- What new products are improving performance and keeping costs down, and how environmental regulations are driving innovation
- The importance of family trips to gaining female participation in hunting and fishing
- The share of respondents who prefer to buy products from companies that support causes they believe in even if the products are not priced higher
- Changes in fishing behavior with age including predilections for social activity and solo activity
- How age affects consumption of media regarding hunting and fishing
- The role of urbanites in sales
- Attitudes toward guns and safety
- Ownership of guns and interest in first-time purchasing
- Minority participation
- Cross-promotion of hunting and fishing equipment
- Use of online shopping and browsing compared to brick-and-mortar shopping and browsing
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.