Ice Cream and Frozen Novelties - Canada - May 2016
Canadians love ice cream. Some 90% of Canadians claim to eat single flavoured ice cream during the warmer months and with the exception of gelato, more than half of Canadians claim to eat ice cream at some point. Even with ice cream and frozen treats’ relatively high penetration, the market has softened, falling to 6.8 litres per capita in 2015 from 7.7 in 2008, a trend that is occurring across many mature markets. An aging population heightening the importance of nutritional concerns is certainly factoring into the decline. In the face of demographic pressures, this Report identifies opportunities and what considerations are more likely to resonate with different segments to inform targeted innovation and messaging strategies.
This report examines the following issues:
- Ice cream sales have experienced long-term declining trend
- Aging population creates headwinds for growth
- Concerns exist around sugar, but perspective is required
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions in soliciting consumer feedback:
- Single flavour ice cream (eg chocolate, vanilla)
- Ice cream with mix-ins (eg caramel swirl, fruit, nuts, cake bits)
- Premium/luxury ice cream (eg Häagen-Dazs)
- Frozen treats (eg ice cream bars/sandwiches, popsicles)
- Frozen Yogurt
- Sherbet, sorbet and ices
- Hand held (eg cone, on a stick, sandwich)
- From a large format package (eg tub, box)
- From an ice cream shop
- From an individually sized cup
- As beverage (eg milkshake, float)
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.