Impact of The Recession on Consumers' Leisure Habits - UK - May 2010
This report examines the impact of the recession on consumer spending habits across a wide range of leisure sectors, looking at the background macro-economic factors, key sector trends, where cutbacks have occurred, attitudes towards leisure spending in the current economic climate and likely future prospects.
- The recession has had a major impact on UK leisure habits, with 53% of consumers staying in more and 59% spending less when they go out.
- Eight out of ten people expect things to be OK, when it comes to their financial situation, although just over two thirds still have some degree of concern. One in six adults have severe worries or are already in serious difficulty.
- Almost a quarter of the population (23%) are happy to stay in more often these days because of in-home entertainment technology. The recession has accelerated this cocooning trend, with a third saying they can afford to go out but “just prefer staying in these days”.
- While C2DEs, families and those on low household incomes are the likeliest to have cut back on all leisure activities, over half of ABC1s, non-families and high-income households have also made cutbacks.
- Seven out of ten adults are taking advantage of leisure vouchers, offers and discounts and over half are researching prices before they go out. Over half have also reduced their ‘secondary spend’ on items such as food and drink and over four in ten are taking their own food and drink to venues.
- More than a third of consumers have not changed their spending habits because of the recession. The most recession-proof leisure spenders are ABC1 men under 35, affluent over-55s and single person households.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.