In-car Entertainment - UK - December 2010
The in-car entertainment (ICE) market has experienced negative growth since 2007, with car owners generally cutting out non-essential purchases. In-car CD-audio sales, already slowing due to the decline of the hard copy music market, have taken a double hit as the recession led to a reduction in consumers willing to pay for car audio upgrades. This has been a major factor in the contraction of the overall market, with CD-audio systems estimated to account for about 85% of all aftermarket revenues.
- The majority of consumers take a fairly passive attitude toward in-car entertainment. Nearly half agree that they are unfamiliar with the latest ICE products available on the market, and less than one in six agree that they like to keep up with the latest ICE technology.
- Halfords is the number one retail store for in-car entertainment. About one in three say Halfords would be their first choice when looking for new ICE products.
- Most consumers are not brand focused. Only one in five agree that they tend to stick to brands they know and trust, and only 18% say it’s worth paying extra for a quality brand.
- Nearly half of all respondents agree that having too many in-car gadgets is distracting.
- 16-24s are more likely than average to favour in-car Internet and in-car video. Over half of 16-24s like the idea of in-car entertainment products that can access the web, compared to one in four overall. Similarly, two in five 16-24s like the idea of being about to watch video in the car, compared to one in five overall.
- In-car DVD players are more popular among families. Some 9% of respondents with children had a in-car DVD player in their vehicle, compared to 3% who had no children. They are most popular among parents of children aged 5-9, with 14% of this group having the device fitted into their vehicles.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.