Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Carbonated Soft Drinks market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Growth slows, but India is still positive to CSDs
- Increase consumption occasions with wider variety
- Functional CSDs can appeal to the health conscious
What you need to know
India is a growth market for CSDs
The global concern about sugar content has impacted the carbonated soft drinks market in India as well, though India still remains a growth market for the category. Retail per capita consumption was just 2.2 litres in 2017, but 64% of urban Indians had consumed a CSD in the three months to May 2018.
Growth has slowed in the last five years
Volume growth in India's CSD market has slowed in the last five years as consumers switch to other, healthier beverages such as juices and dairy drinks. These categories can offer inspiration for CSD manufacturers in terms of BFY cues. 49% of urban Indians say the use of real fruit juice will encourage them to buy more CSDs.
Incorporate fruit juice in CSDs to lower tax rate
Concerns over public health has resulted in the Indian government bucketing CSDs in the highest tax bracket. The category sees an overall tax rate of 40%, but the Indian government is considering a move where companies that mix at least 2% natural juice in their CSDs might be exempted from the cess.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Carbonated soft drinks are increasingly being shunned by consumers in favour of other beverages that are seen as being healthier or just having more variety. CSDs do not have to trade off on their reputation as an indulgence, rather they need to embrace it and highlight how soft drinks are ideal for a variety of treat-based consumption occasions
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- [Graph] India: Agreement with the statement 'Carbonated soft drinks are widely available', May 2018
- Key drivers
- [Graph] Global: Fastest/slowest growing markets, by total market compound annual growth, carbonated soft drinks, last five years*
- [Graph] India: Retail market year-on-year growth by volume, carbonated soft drinks, 2014-22
- [Graph] India: Use of real fruit juice as a puchase influencer, by age group, May 2018
- Global trends and how they're playing out in India
- Carbonated soft drink usage
- [Graph] India: CSD types consumed, by socioeconomic class (SEC), May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select attitudes towards CSDs, regular drinkers vs diet drinkers, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Consumption of different CSD flavours, by age and gender, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Consumption of different CSD flavours, by gender, May 2018
- Expanding consumption occasions
- [Graph] India: Select attitudes towards CSDs from indulgence consumers, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Occasions for CSD consumption, May 2018
- [Graph] India: CSD purchase location, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Where extra money is spent after buying necessities, April 2018
- [Graph] India: CSD type, by purchase location, May 2018
- Purchase motivators
- [Graph] India: Features that would encourage greater purchase of CSDs, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in flavour options by household size, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Growth in select flavours in CSDs, July 2016-June 2017 to July 2017-June 2018
- [Graph] India: CSD consumption by family member, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select purchase motivators of consumers wanting healthier options for kids, May 2018
- Who's innovating
- Global innovators
- [Graph] Select European countries: Attitudes toward fruit-flavoured carbonated soft drinks, 2016
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides a range of market information, explaining the key drivers behind the market and how global trends impact the Indian landscape.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues in the Indian market.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides key innovation insights from brands and manufacturers, and explores opportunities to learn both from the Indian market and abroad, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.