Coffee and Tea Shops - Indian Consumer Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Coffee and Tea Shops market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Café products need to be seen as more than just a treat in India
- Lifestyle-driven experiences will help boost sales and footfall at cafés in India
- Look to new sources of revenue to improve profitability for coffee and tea chains in India
What you need to know
Café culture takes off in India
Indians are now spending more time out of home and eating out is becoming more common and acceptable. In addition, Indian consumers are also seeking out lifestyle-driven experiences.The rise of café culture in India is trending. Indians see these places as trendy and are willing to spend on them.
Focus on different strategies for different needs
Keep in mind strategies in the coffee shop segment may not be suitable for tea, given the different consumption needs. There is big potential for innovation in India's café market with new formats and offerings that allow brands to better cater to the growing variety of occasions for consumers.
Offer up unique experiences
Allow for customised offerings that are consumer-centric, which can lead in appealing to consumers instead of just standardised products. Familiarity can form the basis for product innovation, but Indian consumers today are also on the lookout for unique experiences in terms of products and outlet settings.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food and Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Coffee shops have had a fairly successful entry into India and are now a common sight across major cities in the country. Taking cues from the success of coffee shops, café chains for tea are now growing as well, keeping in mind that Indians see tea as a suitable drink for any time of the day. Increasing disposable incomes and a growing willingness to spend will continue to boost this sector, with significant opportunity for growth in Tier 2 and 3 cities.
Food and Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- [Graph] India: Agreement with the statement 'These products are a good treat', by region, May 2018
- Key drivers
- [Graph] India: Agreement with 'I'm drinking more of these products compared to last year', May 2018
- [Graph] India: Number of coffee shops, 2010-18
- [Graph] India: Positive financial outlook over the next year, April 2018
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- [Graph] India: Growth of select tea chains with a national presence, 2017-18
- What Indians drink out of home
- [Graph] India: Beverages purchased for out-of-home consumption in the last three months, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Purchase of drinks out-of-home for immediate consumption, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Out-of-home purchase locations for coffee and tea, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Purchase locations for tea for immediate out-of-home consumption in the last three months, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Purchase locations for coffee for immediate out-of-home consumption in the last three months, May 2018
- Marketing to women
- [Graph] India: Select demographics of working vs non-working women, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Where women buy coffee/tea for out-of-home consumption, by employment status, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select reasons for choosing a particular tea/coffee café, by working vs non-working women, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Top reasons working women choose a particular tea/coffee café, May 2018
- Expansion into retail
- [Graph] India: Agreement with select statements about out-of-home coffee/tea, May 2018
- Who's innovating
- [Graph] India: Online activity – ordering prepared food for delivery, by city tier, April 2018
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides a range of market information, explaining the key drivers behind the market and how global trends impact the Indian landscape.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues in the Indian market.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides key innovation insights from brands and manufacturers, and explores opportunities to learn both from the Indian market and abroad, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.