Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Coffee market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Focus on functional benefits, pride in local varieties to unlock the potential for coffee in India
- Call out health benefits of coffee other than energy-boosting
- Floods in South India devastate coffee plantations
What you need to know
Coffee consumption is low, but growing
Coffee consumption in India is low despite it being a major producer. The South is the top consumer since it produces the bulk of the country's coffee. But the beverage is becoming more popular across the country, driven by its taste, functionality and aspirational quality.
Coffee shops boost retail consumption
The rapid growth of coffee shops and the café culture in India have been key in terms of boosting coffee consumption in retail. This opens up opportunities for packaged coffee manufacturers to offer coffee products that replicate café-style drinks.
Urbanisation drives the need for pick-me-ups
In most economies, coffee consumption grows alongside urbanisation and increasingly Westernised lifestyles. India is no different. Coffee will take up the role of an aid to get through the day as lifestyles become more hectic in Indian cities.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Coffee's trendiness and energy credentials will be key to growing the category in India in the coming years.
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Key drivers
- [Graph] India: Retail market volume, tea and coffee, 2017
- [Graph] India: Year-on-year volume growth, % by segment, coffee, 2014-17
- [Graph] India: Coffee drinkers, by city tier, May 2018
- [Graph] China and India: Annual percentage of population at mid-year residing in urban areas, 1960-2018
- [Graph] India: Share of coffee launches with chicory as an ingredient, Nov 2013-Oct 2018
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- [Graph] Global: Coffee innovations featuring select ethical & environmental claims, 2013-18
- Back to basics: Promoting coffee's energy and focus attributes
- [Graph] India: Association of coffee with the attribute "energising", by gender and region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Coffee drinkers who associate coffee with helping them focus, by employment status, May 2018
- Regional variation: Targeting consumers at different stages of evolution
- [Graph] India: Coffee consumption on any occasion in the last three months, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select attitudes towards coffee preparation, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Use of packaged filter coffee/ready-to-use decoction, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Consumption of coffee with a salty snack, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select attributes associated with coffee, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Coffee production in the North Eastern region, 2015-2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in buying ready-to-drink coffee products, by region, May 2018
- Gourmet claims: Riding India's 'third wave' in coffee
- [Graph] India: Agreement with select statements about coffee, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Agreement with select statements on coffee, by interest in gourmet coffee, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in third-wave coffee, by preparation style, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in third wave coffee, by type of coffee consumed, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select statements on place of origin of coffee, all vs coffee drinkers, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Coffee NPD featuring a functional claim, 2013-18
- Who's innovating
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
About the report
This report will tell you which major trends are impacting your market and how it changes according to the different regions and demographics across India. These trends are validated from our proprietary consumer data and market research. Our industry experts provide analysis and recommendations to help you identify opportunities and make better decisions faster. Access this report now and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.