Haircare Routines - Indian Consumer Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Haircare Routines market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Build on established natural haircare ingredients from India, but in modern formats
- Innovate multi-functional products to streamline haircare routines
- Boost natural and Ayurveda ingredients for haircare
- Private label in hair treatments drives the haircare segment
What you need to know
Build on consumer demand for 'back-to-roots' - Native natural ingredients like amla, henna were well-established in India’s haircare space, but had been sidelined due to the time needed. Hair issues due to city living now see Indians going back to natural. As such, 34% of urban Indians believe natural brands are trustworthy, and brands are responding with natural formulations.
Innovate oil for modern urban needs - Re-establish oil as a pre-wash step as 75% of urban Indians oil their hair vs 86% who shampoo. The traditional ritual of oiling took a back seat in big cities due to its low styling factor, but the 'natural wave' (sought by 33% of consumers) means this is expected to change as oiling becomes associated as part of a natural lifestyle.
Promote haircare regime via product bundling - Educate Indian consumers on the benefits of a 3-step haircare routine through ads and product bundling. Usage of conditioner (40%) is low vs shampoo and oil. Bundling conditioners with either of these products can encourage use among consumers. This can also reinforce the 3-step concept.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Minu Srivastava, a leading analyst in the Beauty sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Across the world in the beauty and personal care space, consumers are warming up to natural ingredients, local approaches and technological developments, especially as consumers move away from the use of potentially harmful chemical ingredients. Indeed, 'natural' will become an important aspect of positioning for haircare products. Natural ingredients that have been used for centuries in India are now being adapted into convenient formats in line with modern lifestyles. Growing urbanisation and air pollution affect the overall health of urban Indians, with poor hair health being a further side effect.
Consumer Research Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Key drivers
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- What haircare products consumers use
- [Graph] India: Haircare products usage, April 2018
- The factors having the most impact on hair appearance
- [Graph] India: Product usage frequency, by gender, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Most important factors that impact hair appearance, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Select important factors that impact hair appearance, by usership profile, April 2018
- The haircare claims/benefits consumers seek
- [Graph] India: Product features/claims sought while purchasing haircare products such as shampoo and conditioner, by gender, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Besides price, benefits/claims sought while purchasing haircare products such as shampoo and/or conditioner, by user type, April 2018
- Men are important too, especially Millennial men
- [Graph] India: Product usage frequency among men, by age, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Product usage frequency among Millennials aged 18-34, by gender, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Select factors that impact hair appearance, among shampoo and conditioner users, by gender, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Besides price, benefits/claims sought while purchasing haircare products such as shampoo and/or conditioner, by gender, April 2018
- [Graph] India: Attitudes toward haircare products, by gender, April 2018
- Who's innovating
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
About the report
This report will tell you which major trends are impacting your market and how it changes according to the different regions and demographics across India. These trends are validated from our proprietary consumer data and market research. Our industry experts provide analysis and recommendations to help you identify opportunities and make better decisions faster. Access this report now and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.