Malt & Other Hot Drinks - Indian Consumer Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Malt & Other Hot Drinks market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Widen the scope of malt drink consumers with flavour and format innovation
- Expand meal pairing options for malt drinks beyond the standard breakfast/morning beverage
- Use flavour and format innovation in malt drink to open up new consumption occasions for Indians
What you need to know
India is a leading player in malt drinks
The APAC region has the largest share of launches within the malt & other hot drinks category. Within this region, India accounts for 13% of product launches, making it the third largest in terms of launches. Industry estimates, however, suggest that India is the world leader in terms of volume sales of malt and related health drinks.
Malt drinks are seen as nutritious
Malt drinks have a strong association with health among Indian consumers, and 41% of urban Indians associate them with being nutritious. Malt drinks are seen as drinks for children, but have significant usage among adults as well. 41% of adults have consumed malt drinks on at least one occasion.
Malt drinks start to lose their relevance
As milk production reached record levels in India, alongside alternatives to flavour milk , growth in malt drinks has slowed. To remain relevant, malt drink powders need to shift their focus on new nutritional needs and flavours – 24% of urban Indians say they are interested in a wider variety of flavours.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
As health becomes an increasingly common talking point for consumers in terms of purchase motivation, there is also place for indulgence within food and drink. Comfort foods, like hot drinks, are found across the world and this idea gives consumers the permission to enjoy indulgences without guilt.Malt drinks, largely known for their nutritional benefits, are also seen as comforting and relaxing – factors attributed now being linked to holistic wellbeing. This makes malt drinks well-placed to capitalise on this positioning and provide consumers with products that can help them relax and feel better during times of stress.
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- [Graph] India: Malt drink consumption with a meal, by region, May 2018
- Key drivers
- [Graph] APAC: Top markets, malt and other hot drinks, August 2015-July 2018
- [Graph] India: Milk production volume, 2009-10 to 2016-17
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- Attributes associated with malt drinks
- [Graph] India: Attributes associated with malt drinks, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Agreement with malt drinks being comforting, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select health attributes associated with malt drinks, by agreement with 'A drink for when I'm not well', May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select negative traits associated with malt drinks, by region, May 2018
- Purchase motivators for malt drinks
- [Graph] India: Purchase interest in kinds of malt drinks, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Consumption of malt drinks, by household member, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Top health-related claims, malt & other hot drinks, August 2015-July 2018
- [Graph] India: Top health-related claims, baby food, August 2015-July 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in malt drinks as a meal replacement, by city tier, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in low-sugar variants of malt drinks, by socioeconomic group, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in a wider variety of flavours in malt drinks, by region, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Top 15 flavours, malt and other hot drinks, August 2015-July 2018
- [Graph] India: Interest in malt drinks in different formats, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Top flavours in flavoured milk launches, August 2015-July 2018
- Who's innovating?
- [Graph] India: Growth of high-protein claim, malt & other hot drinks, August 2011-July 2018
- [Graph] India: Monthly per capita expenditure on high-protein foods in urban areas, 2004-2012
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
About the report
This report will tell you which major trends are impacting your market and how it changes according to the different regions and demographics across India. These trends are validated from our proprietary consumer data and market research. Our industry experts provide analysis and recommendations to help you identify opportunities and make better decisions faster. Access this report now and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.