Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Packaged Sauces market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Scratch cooking is standard and the expectation
- Use premium positioning to convince a trade up
- Lack of time, skill drive packaged sauce use
What you need to know
Indians cook from scratch daily, and enjoy it
Cooking from scratch is the norm for most Indian households and 59% of urban consumers say they typically cook because they like to. As lifestyles become more hectic, the need for convenience will push Indian consumers towards packaged and ready-to-use cooking aids.
Growing incomes drive convenience product growth
India is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Per capita disposable income grew by 75.6% between 2011-12 and 2017-18. As disposable incomes grow, more consumers will be in the position to pay for convenience products, including packaged sauces.
Food service can inspire retail flavour innovation
Urban Indians are dining out more than ever before, thanks to increasing disposable incomes and the growing food service sector. Food service will expand consumer palates, pointing to opportunities for sauces to offer restaurant-style flavours for home use.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Urban Indian consumers have gained significant exposure to a wide variety of cuisines, through increased travel and the rapid growth of the food service sector. The cuisines include not just international dishes, but also niche regional dishes.
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- Key drivers
- [Graph] India: Per capita gross national disposable income (at current prices), 2011-12 to 2016-17
- [Graph] India: Future Group's expansion, 2017-18
- [Graph] India: Top most preferred cuisines, 2016
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- Value-added sauces are earning their place in Indian kitchens
- [Graph] India: Packaged seasonings and sauces used in the past month, February 2018
- [Graph] India: Count of packaged ingredients/sauces used, February 2018
- [Graph] India: 'Packaged cooking sauces are good for everyday meals', by household responsibilities, February 2018
- The main challenger for packaged sauces is homemade
- [Graph] India: Attitudes toward cooking sauces – Challenges, February 2018
- [Graph] India: Attitudes favouring homemade cooking sauces, by age, February 2018
- [Graph] India: Use of select packaged sauces, by food safety concerns, February 2018
- [Graph] India: 'Homemade sauce tastes better than packaged sauce', by cooking skills, February 2018
- Make space for premium sauces
- [Graph] India: 'I rarely change the brand of packaged ingredients/sauces I use', by region, February
- [Graph] India: Reasons for using packaged cooking sauces, by cooking skills, February 2018
- [Graph] India: Use of select cooking sauces, by all and very advanced skills, February 2018
- [Graph] India: Growth of select natural claims, sauces*, 2013-17
- [Graph] India: Trying to eat more of select ingredients compared to 12 months ago, February 2018
- Who's innovating
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides a range of market information, explaining the key drivers behind the market and how global trends impact the Indian landscape.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues in the Indian market.
Mintel Indian Consumer provides key innovation insights from brands and manufacturers, and explores opportunities to learn both from the Indian market and abroad, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.