Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Tea market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Key points included
- Focus on new functional benefits for tea to drive growth in India
- Global retail market overview: tea and infusions, 2018
- Position tea as an aid to overall health management
What you need to know
India is one of the fastest growing tea markets
India is the largest tea market in the world by volume, even though per capita consumption is low at 0.48kg in 2017. Indian consumers are switching to packaged tea from loose tea, making the country's retail tea space one of the fastest growing in the world. Indians are now ready for value-added products alongside plain black tea.
Use promotions to drive value-added teas
As Indian consumers become more health-conscious and look for value-added tea, green tea consumption has garnered interest. Media coverage and ad campaigns have helped consumers associate green tea with health benefits, slimming in particular. This indicates Indians are ready for new tea benefits, but they need to be educated on them.
Look beyond energising claims for tea
Tea has always been seen as energising in India, but the scope for showcasing functional benefits has widened. With stress becoming a major health concern for Indian consumers, tea brands are starting to tackle more emotional and relaxation benefits.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by Ranjana Sundaresan, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, her extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Tea in India means different things to different people, and this opens up opportunities to position the drink as much more than just an energising beverage. As Indian consumers become more exposed to different types of teas and infusions, and more aware of their functional benefits, there is tremendous scope for tea's numerous functionalities to be brought to the fore on pack. This includes functionalities such as relaxation and managing anxiety or stress to reinforce these benefits for consumers.
Food & Drink Analyst
Table of contents
Table of contents
- [Graph] India: Consumption of green tea, by gender, May 2018
- Key drivers
- [Graph] India: Growth in market segmentation by volume (%), tea and Infusions, 2014-17
- [Graph] Select markets: Retail market volume consumption per capita, tea and infusions, 2017
- [Graph] Global: Top markets for launches with slimming claims, tea, Dec 2015-Nov 2018
- Global trends and how they are playing out in India
- [Graph] India: Select personal health concerns, February 2018
- Increasing tea consumption occasions
- [Graph] India: Consumption of premix tea by perception of time taken to make tea, May 2018
- Functional benefits of tea
- [Graph] India: Attributes associated with tea, black vs green, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Green tea consumption, by age and gender, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Association of health with tea by age group, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Health-related claims, green vs black tea, Dec 2015-Nov 2018
- [Graph] India: Launches with select mood-based descriptors, tea, Dec 2015-Nov 2018
- Driving the consumption of iced tea
- [Graph] India: Consumption of cold/iced tea on at least one occasion, by age group, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Affordability associations linked to black and green tea, by hot and cold tea drinkers, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Repertoire of types of tea consumed, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Taste associations linked to tea, by cold and hot tea drinkers, May 2018
- [Graph] India: Select emerging health-related claims, tea, India, Dec 2015-Nov 2018
- Who's innovating
- Global innovators
MINTEL Indian consumer - OTHER REPORTS AVAILABLE
About the report
This report will tell you which major trends are impacting your market and how it changes according to the different regions and demographics across India. These trends are validated from our proprietary consumer data and market research. Our industry experts provide analysis and recommendations to help you identify opportunities and make better decisions faster. Access this report now and you’ll quickly understand:
What They Want. Why They Want It.
New Ideas. New Products. New Potential.
What’s Shaping Demand – Today And Tomorrow.
Where The White Space Is. How To Make It Yours.