Indian Luxury Hotel Sector (The) - February 2012
This report provides an overview of the current state of the Indian luxury hotel sector and offers some insights into its future development. In contrast to many developing countries (for example China), India has a long tradition of luxury hotel-keeping, stretching back over a century, to 1902, when one of the country’s leading chains – Taj Group – was founded. Currently, there are five Indian hotel groups, namely: ITC Hotels; the LaLiT Suri Hospitality Group; Leela Group; Oberoi Hotels and Resorts; and Taj Hotels, Resorts & Palaces, all actively competing in the luxury segment, as well as some prominent independent properties. Several of the major international luxury brands, such as Kempinski, Starwood’s Luxury Collection and Le Méridien flags, Four Seasons, InterContinental, Hyatt and JW Marriott, have also entered the Indian market – frequently in partnership with local hotel groups.
Some key findings from the report include:
- How many hotels are there in India, which are graded five-star deluxe or are members of the international luxury hotel consortium, Leading Hotels of the World (LHW)? What are the differences in terms of the level of service delivery within this broad and varied group of hotels.
- Where do India's luxury hotels tend to be located?
- What is the client base of five-star deluxe hotels? How does the exchange rate of the Rupee against the US Dollar, the Euro and the British Pound affects demand for the hotels? Is it also affected by the economic climate in important source markets such as the US, the UK and Western Europe.
- While there is undoubtedly great potential for expanding hotel capacity in India, what are the most interesting investment opportunities?
- Is it likely that there will be overcapacity developing – at least in the short term – in luxury accommodation in many key Indian destinations that are already well served? How is competition from foreign luxury hotel operators faring as they progressively enter the market?
- There is an impending labour shortage - how is this affecting hotel margins and operations such as salaries?
- How are Loyalty or frequent-guest schemes operated by Indian luxury chains performing? What scope do they have?
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.