International Hotel Industry - September 2011
- Hilton worldwide has gained share in its home US market and has moved ahead of Wyndham Worldwide in second place, behind InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), which retains the number one spot in the international rankings.
- Distribution by diverse electronic means (including global distribution systems, or GDSs, online travel agents, or OTAs, and proprietary websites) continues to grow relative to other channels. Due to the fear of not selling rooms during the recent economic downturn, OTAs gained share of hotel Web bookings, but with the revival in the fortunes of the hotel sector, it is expected that the websites of the major chains will start to back share.
- Hotel spas have experienced a setback virtually worldwide over the past three years due to the economic crisis. The new trend in promotion is to emphasise people and customer service, as opposed to sophisticated hardware and architecture. Given the difficult time in recent years, there is a move to manage spas as profit centres, like other activities in a hotel, through tracking key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Africa is shaping up as the new frontier of development for the international chains, as increasing political stability and steady economic growth set the stage for rising demand for quality hotel accommodation.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.