Internet TV - UK - June 2010
- PCs and laptops dominate as the preferred medium for watching internet TV, by 83% of viewers. However, usage is likely to migrate away from computers to living room sets with the launch of Project Canvas and Google TV in 2011.
- A quarter of internet TV viewers say the size of their PC screen puts them off viewing more. This is likely to be due to the falling cost of larger screen monitors, making big-screen web TV viewing a reality for the mass-market.
- Only 19% of internet TV users watch via games consoles. New motion controlled systems for the Xbox 360 and PS3 are likely to grow the appeal of watching this way, reinforced by the sophisticated audio and video capabilities of the consoles.
- The majority of internet TV viewers are motivated to watch because they’ve missed something on regular TV (70%). This is underlined by research that shows catch up TV (rather than live) are the most popular destination for viewers
- With the majority internet TV users accessing free sites (such as the BBC iPlayer, used by 60% of viewers), it’s perhaps unsurprising that 45% of internet TV viewers would never consider paying for content online.
- Despite the wide range of internet TV sites available on the market, only 11% of online viewers say they are motivated to watch due to the variety the medium offers. This could be because the most popular sites tend not to show exclusive content.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.