iPhone Generation - UK - November 2009
The world of new technology is by definition a fast-moving one, and there have been many new developments, especially in mobile technology, since Mintel’s report The IPod Generation – UK, April 2007.
This report looks at consumer attitudes towards new technology, and the extent to which technology is changing the way we run our lives.
- New technology – we just can’t live without it! Or at least that’s how one in five of us feel. Among younger consumers, this point of view is even more prevalent, with a third of 16-24s saying that their lives would be "impossible" without new technology.
- Although we may be living in a techno world surrounded by gadgets, not everyone feels equipped to deal with this. In fact, nearly half the population describe themselves as "tech-novices" – in other words, they know very little or nothing at all about new technology.
- The smartphone revolution is here – and it’s changing the way we access the internet. 8.7 million of us already own a smartphone, and a further 11 million want one. Smartphone technology is likely to have a substantial impact on the way we live our lives and on the success of standalone gadgets such as digital cameras and sat-nav.
- In today’s techno world, the internet is an integral part of daily life. Three out of five of us now regularly shop online, while 24.1 million consumers regularly manage their finances online. In addition, the internet is the most popular way for people to find directions.
- Home entertainment is poised for dynamic growth: for many home entertainment products, prospective owners outnumber current owners. For example, currently blu-ray player ownership stands at around 14%, but an additional 38% of consumers have ambitions to own one.
- Recommendation is key in new technology: one in three of us wait until someone we know has bought and used a product before buying it ourselves. A similar proportion seeks the advice of family/friends before buying. The internet also plays a vital role here, with 13 million regularly reading comments/reviews posted online about products/services.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.