Ireland Attitudes to Advertising Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Attitudes to Advertising market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
Issues covered in this Report
This Report examines the advertising industry in NI and RoI and includes an analysis of the main market drivers. For the purpose of this Report, the following definitions apply:
- Advertising – any paid form of non-personal presentation and promotion of ideas, goods or services by an identified sponsor.
- Catch-up/on-demand services – refers to television programmes digitally recorded using personal video recorder equipment to be watched by the user at a later date.
- Digital/online advertising – any form of advertising on the internet including display advertising, search advertising and mobile advertising.
- Direct marketing – direct mail, direct-response advertising and telemarketing.
- Sponsorship – financial or material support of an event, activity, person, organisation or product.
- Non-commercial media – these stations do not broadcast advertising and are funded by the state.
- Commercial media – these stations can be easily identified in that they broadcast advertisements. They are paid for predominantly by advertising. Major commercial TV stations include UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky TV channels. RTÉ is both commercially and state-funded.
The BBC network of TV and radio is completely non-commercial
What you need to know
Advertising expenditure continues to grow across Ireland. This is being driven by online channels, with video-on-demand and native advertising seeing the largest increases in spending between 2016 and 2017. However, despite the significant increase in online advertising expenditure, TV advertising remains the most effective in gaining Irish consumers’ attention.
Furthermore, as consumers show a preference for advertising that informs them of special offers and makes them laugh, brands should look to deliver humorous campaigns with special offers to re-engage consumers and boost awareness of their products and services and consumers’ purchase intentions.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by James Wilson, a leading analyst in the Media sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
There remains a high level of advertising avoidance as Irish consumers continue to fast forward through TV adverts when using catch-up and on-demand services, and change channels and browser tabs when adverts start. However, as consumers show a strong preference for advertising that informs them of special offers and makes them laugh, delivering humorous campaigns with special offers will help brands to re-engage consumers and boost awareness of their products and services.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.