Ireland Bread Market Report
Everything you need to make the right decisions
Providing the most comprehensive and up-to-date information and analysis of the Bread market, and the behaviours, preferences and habits of the consumer.
Mintel has the answers you’re looking for
What are the key challenges facing the industry and how fast are its rates of growth? Who is the consumer and what do they want? Where are the opportunities, where are the risks and what lies ahead?
What you need to know
Sliced white loaves and pancakes are the main types of pre-packaged bread products purchased by Irish consumers. However, pre-packaged wholemeal bread is gaining in popularity as increasingly health-conscious consumers are turning to ‘better-for-you’ products to improve their diets and overall health and wellbeing. Irish consumers also think it is important to know where the ingredients in bread come from. Greater transparency throughout their supply chains can, therefore, show that bread and baked goods manufacturers and retailers have nothing to hide about their ingredients or from where they are sourced – something that will help brands to build trust among increasingly sceptical consumers.
Issues covered in this Report
This Report examines the retail market for bread products in both NI and RoI, focusing on bread bought through retailers for use at home or for packed lunches, etc. Bread/bread products bought via foodservice channels are not examined in this Report.
For the purposes of this Report bread includes:
- Traditional loaves – white, brown and wholemeal, which may be sliced or unsliced, wrapped or unwrapped. Part-baked products are also included.
- White bread – this is made from flour, which contains only the endosperm, or the central section of the grain (about 75% of the wholegrain).
- Wholemeal bread – this is made from the whole of the wheat grain with nothing removed. This is primarily a brown bread, although it can also be white.
- Brown bread – this is made from flour from which some bran and wheat germ have been removed and represents about 85% of the wholegrain.
- Speciality bread – For the purposes of this Report, the speciality bread market is taken to include: baguettes/sticks, pittas, wraps, chapattis, naan breads, paninis, garlic bread (brown, seeded and white), ciabatta, focaccia, soda farls and potato bread.
- Morning goods – For the purpose of this Report, morning goods include: bagels, brioche loaves and rolls, croissants, crumpets, English muffins, fruit loaves, hot cross buns, malt loaves and pain au chocolate.
Please note items excluded from this Report: Pizza bases, Swiss rolls, cakes/cake bars and biscuits.
Expert analysis from a specialist in the field
Written by James Wilson, a leading analyst in the Food & Drink sector, his extensive knowledge delivers in-depth commentary and analysis to highlight current trends and add expert context to the numbers.
Sliced white loaves and pancakes are the main types of pre-packaged bread products bought by Irish consumers but pre-packaged wholemeal bread is gaining in popularity as increasingly health-conscious consumers are turning to ‘better-for-you’ products as they look to improve their diets and overall health and wellbeing.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.