Kitchens - UK - August 2009
- With UK homes getting smaller, clever storage is the most wanted feature by more than six out of ten (22 million internet users aged 16-64), reinforcing the merit of manufacturers continuing efforts to innovate in this area.
- Consumers are dissatisfied with inadequate lighting when using the kitchen, with four in ten (15 million internet users aged 16-64) wanting built-in lighting in units and over worktops.
- The ability to customise kitchen units is wanted by nearly half (16.5 million), pointing to an opportunity for retailers to offer more options that include an element of customisation, but not at bespoke prices.
- With installing a new kitchen seen by 45% (15.8 million) as a good way of adding value to the home and one in five (6 million) spending more time in the kitchen, a balance needs to be struck in terms of style between allowing people to express themselves and boosting saleable value.
- Most buyers will need help both in terms of planning/designing and installation, with a designer visiting the home (32%) and installation of a made-to-measure kitchen by a professional (33%) the most likely preferred choices.
- The internet is now a key part of the decision and buying process, with one in three (11 million) wanting to use an online kitchen planner and four in ten (14 million) likely to do research on the internet before deciding where to buy.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.