Laundry Products - UK - September 2010
The report examines the retail market for products used for washing, cleaning and freshening clothes, including laundry detergents, detergent boosters, stain removers, fabric conditioners and clothes refreshment products.
- The detergent market overall has lost around 1 million consumers since 2005 (Mintel estimate based on TGI data), with a long-term trend away from using powder detergents (losing 1.8m consumers).Development of concentrated liquids has encouraged consumers to switch to these smaller pack sizes (liquids gained 0.9m consumers).
- Just over half of consumers use stain removers and the sector has gained almost 1 million new consumers since 2005, with some of these adding stain removers to their wash to ensure a good cleaning performance at lower temperatures; 14% of consumers worry that washing at low temperatures does not kill germs.
- The most important factors for purchasers, in order of importance, are brand and special offers (neck-and-neck for one fifth of purchasers), followed by low price and performance (also neck-and-neck for 14% of buyers).
- Seven in ten laundry buyers take the opportunity to stock up when there are special offers on laundry products, and promotions have persuaded over half of shoppers to switch brands.
- Almost 16m adults have traded down to a cheaper laundry brand in the last year, but do not necessarily opt for the very cheapest alternative.
- Consumers want performance from their laundry products and almost three in ten purchasers do not think own-label products perform as well as branded alternatives. These own-label doubters show a bias towards under-25s (40%).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.