Leisure Centres and Swimming Pools - UK - April 2010
- A boom in secondary spending on items such as food, drink and merchandise as a result of the government’s free swimming initiative has been helping to keep the leisure centres and swimming pools market buoyant, with revenues up 14% in the past five years and admissions 10% higher.
- Energy efficiency is becoming a big issue for the industry as a result of a combination of the 150% increase in gas and electricity prices between 2004 and 2009 and the impending introduction of a carbon trading scheme that rewards the most efficient centres.
- Private contractors are finding it increasingly difficult to increase their market share as a result of the growth in sites run by not-for-profit leisure trusts, which increased in number by 9% between 2007 and 2009.
- Leisure centres and swimming pool users are concentrated among a relatively small proportion of the population: more than six in ten adults haven’t visited a centre during the past year, while more than a third of adults have never visited one.
- Swimming remains the most popular activity undertaken at a leisure centre, with more than half of users going with friends or family and a third on their own, while just over half of users visit the gym or health club. The next most popular dry-side activity among women is fitness classes, whereas for men it is indoor sports like racquet sports or football.
- Lack of interest in exercise is the main reason given by a third of non-users for not using leisure centres. Participating in outdoor exercise like running and cycling and indoor home exercise instead are the other main reasons.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.