Liqueurs - UK - June 2010
This report covers the UK market for liqueurs in the on- and off-trade on which excise duty is paid in the UK. Duty-free sales and personal imports of duty-paid product have been excluded from all data unless specified.
- The liqueurs market splits into two main types: traditional liqueurs, such as Cointreau or Tia Maria are typically thick, sweet products with a spirit base and combined with an infusion of flavours such as fruit or herbs and cream-based liqueurs, such as Bailey’s Irish Cream.
- Traditional liqueurs often appear in classic cocktails eg, Cointreau or Grand Marnier in Cosmopolitans. Helped by the continuing popularity of cocktails, Mintel forecasts this segment will grow to represent over half of all liqueur value sales by 2013 in an otherwise declining market.
- Currently, liqueurs are still more likely to be drunk neat (three quarters of drinkers) rather than in cocktails (less than half), primarily due to the dominance of market leader Bailey’s Cream which is a rare example of a strong brand in a heavily fragmented market.
- Despite being drunk by a half of UK adult drinkers, the total liqueurs market suffers from its perception, by women especially, as a guilty pleasure to be indulged in only occasionally. For example, a half of liqueur drinkers think “they make a nice treat”, a third that “that they are fine in small measures” and a quarter that “they are for special occasions only”.
- Key to arresting value sales decline is to increase occasions for usage and offset guilt about drinking liqueurs more often. Becoming more integral in the dessert category can help to replace the diminishing after-dinner liqueur occasion, while mixing liqueurs with functional ingredients such as superfruits can balance indulgence and health.
- Dual targeting is also key to maximising revenue. Older (45+ year-olds) consumers associate drinking liqueurs with in-home, after-dinner “cocooning” occasions. In contrast, 18-24 year olds are much more likely to drink liqueurs as part of a cocktail, therefore perceiving them as exciting, sociable and about going out.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.