London Effect (The) - UK - November 2010
With 12% of the UK’s population living in Greater London, this report examines whether people living in London are happier, more content and more likely to interact with their local surroundings to a greater degree than people from elsewhere in the UK, and indeed whether there is a London Effect on consumer outlook and lifestyle.
- Mintel’s report reveals the motivations behind why we live where we live and how happy we really are, comparing London to the rest of the UK. Londoners are motivated by having everything on their doorstep, including a mix of cultures, being able to buy top brands and regular holidays etc, while those across the UK are more likely to be tied to the area by family and a nice home.
- Just over half of respondents (54%) to Mintel’s exclusive consumer research claim to be happy with where they live and have no plans to move, with a further 21% happy but with plans to move in the near future. Could this be an indicator of at least a partial recovery in the housing market in 2011?
- A happy family life and close friends are the two things that matter most to people, while Londoners place a higher importance on having regular holidays, a varied social life and a home to be proud of.
- Londoners have revealed their altruistic side in that they showed the highest level of agreement that helping in the community is important in life. Londoners are also more engaged with their local surroundings, but having disposable income helps. The data show that Greater London houses 12.4% of the UK’s total population but 40% of the Urban Prosperity group (well-off, professional singles and young families, according to CACI), a marketer’s dream.
- Mintel measured the ‘drivetime decay’ of major London attractions and found that people are prepared to travel considerably longer for places of history and heritage, such as the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace.
- The majority of Londoners are positive about the 2012 Games but what is noticeable is the massive support for the games around the UK, with more than a quarter of respondents indicating that they will apply for tickets and a third will probably travel to London while the Games are on.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.