Lotteries - UK - April 2010
This report looks at the changes taking place in the Lottery market, including the growth of interactive platforms as sales channels and the developments within the draw-based and scratchcard segments of the market.
- The lottery market has grown by 3.7% in 2008/09 and by and estimated 2.7% in 2009/10 to reach a total value of around £5.5 billion. This represents an increase in its share of total gambling expenditure because of its low cost and ease of play.
- The launch of the EuroMillions game in February 2004 gave the National Lottery a major boost in sales between 2004 and 2006 as the game became established. Once it became firmly entrenched, the trend in lottery sales was essentially flat in real terms.
- The National Lottery accounts for 97% of the total money staked on lotteries in the UK. The National Lottery’s share has fallen very slightly in recent years but has remained around the 97% level.
- The major drivers of ticket sales in the past few years have been the increasingly popular online and interactive games, especially online scratchcards. Together, these games now account for around a quarter of National Lottery sales.
- While 49% of adults play lotteries, only 30% are loyal players. Most non-players tend to be of middle to higher income and are aged under 35. A third of adults have never played.
- The Lotto remains by far the most popular Lottery game played and is especially popular among frequent players. The EuroMillions and scratchcards are both successful in attracting younger and more occasional players.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.