Marketing to Consumers in their 20s - China - January 2014
“China’s vast area and different levels of regional development have contributed to creating a diverse group of ‘twentysomethings’ which cannot simply be regarded as a single segment. This regional diversity is what makes Chinese twentysomethings so different to the twentysomethings in other countries. But where they do share similarities to consumers in this age range around the globe is in technology: these twentysomethings were born into a technological, electronic, and wireless society with global boundaries that are becoming ever more transparent, thanks to the internet.
The rising cost of living, particularly within the larger cities, has only served to contribute to the financial pressure on the twentysomethings. As a result, many have yet to break free from the parental home and find their own financial independence, or to appreciate the importance of balancing spending between everyday essentials and providing for future security.
Twentysomethings may be individualistic on the whole, but they also display elements of conformity, particularly within their social circles. Born under the one-child policy, their lack of siblings only serves to underpin the importance of friends and parents, encouraging them to focus their energy on building relationships rather than working as hard as their parents did.
A combination of rising living costs and the high level of exposure to information from various parts of the country and across the globe means that these twentysomethings are more critical than their parents when it comes to products and services purchased. The twentysomethings ensure that the products and services that they purchase meet their unique needs, which include quality, price, style and even brand, and achieving a balance of every single factor is important to the twentysomethings.”
– Lui Meng Chow – Research Analyst
In this report, we answer the key questions:
- What are the typologies of Chinese twentysomethings and how do companies and brands target them respectively?
- What are the twentysomethings’ top aspirations? How do these aspirations relate to their current attitudes and personality?
- In trying to understand the twentysomethings’ aspirations and attitudes towards life and living, are there any leisure opportunities that can be used to target the twentysomethings and how can companies target them in terms of their spending and daily activities?
- As living costs continue to skyrocket, some twentysomethings are still living under the support of their parents, so how can financial institutions and companies target the twentysomethings?
- The twentysomethings are so diverse in their habits and traits that they cannot be treated as one singular type of consumer; they have different considerations when it comes to the products and services that they purchase. How can companies use the different elements of their products/services to better target this diverse group of twentysomethings?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.