Marketing to Retired People - UK - April 2011
Consumer behaviour can be complicated and bewildering. What makes retired people think, feel and reason in a certain way? How do they choose between different product alternatives (eg brands, products and retailers) and equally what influences their purchase decisions (eg culture, family, media)?
Identifying an individual’s personality type makes it easier to understand the underlying behavioural patterns of that individual. A person may behave differently depending on situations, even though his/her personality is relatively stable. However, personality traits and characteristics have a strong influence on her behaviour.
- Unlock the value of the 21st Century pensioner: The UK is getting older and as the over-60s become a force majeure, understanding their attitudes and aspirations will be key to unlocking their value. Today’s pensioners are no longer giving up work to sit by the fire with a pipe and slippers and are instead considerably more adventurous in their retirement plans than previous generations.
- Examine the role of the internet: They might have retired but they still have aspirations. How do today's pensioners plan to spend their retirement?
- Understand behaviour and attitudes: This report delves into the behaviour and attitudes of the UK’s retired population and looks at their reasons for retiring as well as their plans for their sundown years.
- The impact of happiness: How happy are today's pensioners now compared to before they retired? What are the reasons for this and what does this mean for spend and the activities that retirees are involved in?
- Engagement with media: How receptive are they to advertising? Do they notice it and does it resonate with them?
- Effectively target: Mintel has identified four typologies of retired people that show marked demographic characteristics, most notably in terms of age or gender skew and can be broadly split into those that have a positive outlook on their retirement and those that do not.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.