Marketing to Sports Fans - US - July 2016
"Professional football leads the pack as the most popular American sport, followed by baseball and basketball. Avid Fans often follow all three (or more) traditional sports and keep up with their favorite teams by watching sports news, reading articles online, and even scanning the local paper. Whichever channel fans choose to keep up with the sports world, news stories about the safety of players, doping scandals, and bad behavior of athletes may negatively affect their perceptions of professional leagues."
- Dana Macke, Senior Lifestyles and Leisure Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- More than two thirds of Avid Fans follow multiple sports
- Future fandom driven by early participation
- Football dominates sports culture, but there is a decline in youth participation
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel categorizes respondents based on their level of engagement with sports:
- Sports Fan: Someone who follows sports (net of Avid Fans, Casual Fans, and Occasional Fans).
- Avid Fan: Someone who almost never misses his/her team’s game/event, for at least one of the sports evaluated.
- Casual Fan: Someone who watches at least half of his/her team’s games/events, for at least one of the sports evaluated.
- Occasional Fan: Someone who occasionally watches games/events for at least one of the sports evaluated.
- Non-fan: Someone who does not follow any of the sports evaluated.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.