Marketing to Subcultures - China - May 2019
Covered in this report
In contrast to mainstream culture, subcultures may initially generate controversy. Unlike fads, which are short-term trends, subcultures develop into ways to signify identify or symbols of groups of people who share common interests or values.
This report looks at six popular subcultures with large fan bases today. For each subculture, 500 respondents were selected to represent the corresponding subculture. The six subcultures are:
- Comics and animation
- Video games
- Science fiction (eg science fiction novels/films)
- Street culture (eg street dance, street art, hip-hop)
- Archaic customs or gufeng (eg Chinese archaic music, Chinese archaic clothes)
- Celebrity idols (excluding virtual Idol)
“Subculture lovers devote a lot of time to their hobbies. They are willing to share their interests and be more engaged in activities related to their interests. Brands would do well to integrate online and offline resources and increase interaction with consumers in real life. Meanwhile, understanding and authenticity should be showcased through marketing communication.”
– Scarlett Zhao, Associate Research Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- Subculture IPs act as symbols of identity for fans, who enjoy being inspired by and consuming a variety of cross-category products
- Increasing popularity of offline events and activities to meet fans’ need for peer connection
- Emergence of virtual avatar marketing
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.